Man driving scooter killed in hit and run, police say | Crime
LENOIR - Police charged a Hudson man in connection to a wreck that killed a 31-year-old man Saturday night.
Scotty Odeal Shehan of the 1900 block of Dulatown Road in Lenoir was found laying on the shoulder of Southwest Boulevard by a passing motorist around 9 p.m.
Shehan was driving a VIP Supermotor scooter towards Norwood Street when police say it appears he was hit from behind and pushed of the road into the guardrail.
Police said he died at the scene of the crash.
Five hours later police received a tip about a possible suspect involved in the wreck.
Andy Dwayne Winkler, 46, of the 3000 block of Deal Mill Road in Hudson was later arrested and charged with felony Hit and Run and Failing to Reduce Speed to Avoid a Collision.
Winkler was placed in the Caldwell County Detention Facility under a $10,000 secured bond.
Top Caldwell County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Investigators honored after elementary teacher busted, convicted in child porn ring
- Woman convicted on drug charges from 2011 case
- "Baker's Dozen" indicted on meth charges, more arrests likely
- "Music Millie": 80+-year-old woman teaching inmates in youth prison
- Man to be deported after serving time for sex offense